Washing your dog is an important step in ensuring your dog is kept clean, healthy and happy. There is no rule as to how often you should wash your dog as this varies greatly on breed, size and activity levels.
Choosing the right shampoo
It is key that you choose the correct shampoo to wash your dog with a specifically formulated dog shampoo, such as one from the Animology range, is ideal for using on a dog as it is pH balanced to suit a dog’s coat as well as containing built-in conditioners and vitamins. There are dog shampoos available to suit the needs of all dogs whether they’re a puppy, a long haired dog, a white dog or they suffer from sensitive skin. You may like also like to use a dog conditioner to add extra gloss and shine to your dog’s coat.
- Lift the dog carefully in to a bath and ensure you have a towel at the ready!
- Test the temperature of the water on your arm – check it is not too hot or too cold to ensure that your dog is comfortable.
- Wet the dog thoroughly – start from the neck and work down the whole body. You’ll also want to wet the dogs face, however be careful to ensure no water goes into their eyes, ears or nose as this can cause health problems.
- Dispense shampoo on to your hands and rub it in to the dog’s body – the amount you use really depends on the size of your dog, how dirty they are and whether they are long or short haired.
- Rub the shampoo in to a lather all over the dog and don’t forget to focus on the dirtiest areas such as the belly or paws.
- Thoroughly rinse off the shampoo, again being careful not to get water in their eyes, ears or nose.
- If you’re using a dog conditioner repeat steps 4-6.
- Use your hands to remove all excess water and use a towel to dry the dog thoroughly – a microfiber towel is the best for this as they are highly absorbent meaning a quicker dry.
Now your dog is all clean and smelling fresh! In-between washes you can use a no-rinse shampoo, such as Animology Dirty Dawg, to keep them fresh without having to do a full wash, or you can use a deodorising dog spray to ward off the dreaded ‘smelly dog’ odour. Animology has a great range of pH balanced shampoos, sprays and wipes; such as our Clean Sheets that are designed specifically for use on dogs.